Video Streaming has been proving very profitable not only for the development of certain businesses – VOD being one of them, of course – but also in the field of education, or pedagogy. Video is all set to be one of the key contributors in the modification that is taking place in the realms of education.
How much video technologies are impacting – and can impact – education is a matter that is constantly undergoing a lot of research. However, the impact that video streaming can have on pedagogy can be broadly summarized under three basic concepts:
- Video Engages Learners. Be the video real time or a video on demand, it can engage learners very successfully. Learners get attracted by the visuals and the audio factor, and that can both involve and retain them. Learners can thus connect with the content the video presents.
- Video Helps Learners Interact with the Content. A learner can find it relatively easy to relate to a video content. The visuals and audio enable a learner to follow the matter more closely. S/he can then take notes, apply concepts, think over the matter with the help of what s/he can watch on the video, and, in general, do his/her best to imbibe and retain the lesson deeper.
- Video Helps Learners to Absorb and Retain Knowledge Well.Video can prove to be better than other media of instruction when it comes to enabling learners to understand and remember lessons, concepts, information, and matter clearly.
There are many reasons for video streaming to have such a positive impact on education, like:
- Students with different learning paces and styles can find the video an effective tool for education as the video is a combination of various types of data – images, motion, sounds, texts. Every kind of learning style can therefore find an ally in the video. Different students have different learning styles. Some find seeing things for themselves helpful. Some find listening to instruction and information useful. Some prefer reading. There are some, again, who like a combination of all these. A video can satisfy all such students.
- Video can cater to the various learning paces of students. Some students understand a lesson within a short span of time, and seldom forget what they are taught. There are some who prefer to go slow; read, re-read, revise, and repeat the entire process till they are sure they have grasped the concept completely.
A video can be
- Made to rewind
- Made to go fast-forward
as many times as a student/learner finds necessary for absorbing information.
- Video gives a learner greater control over the material as s/he can access the information as per his/her time, necessity, and learning style and pace.
Various studies have been illustrating how video streaming, and other multimedia materials can improve academic performance. Let us look at some of the areas where this enhancement in academic development and performance can be made possible by video streaming:
- Video Can Ready Children for School. Video streaming, VOD, educational television – all these can have a very positive impact on the development of the cognitive performance of children. It has been found that watching video for learning the alphabet or numbers helps children to recognize the same better. It has also been observed that if children get to view educational television or videos throughout childhood, it has a positive impact on their cognitive performance from their pre-school, right up to their college days.
- Video Can Help Improve Academic Performance. Many studies conducted by colleges and universities have shown that watching streaming video has helped students to perform better than their peers who have acquired academic instruction via the traditional, face-to-face classrooms.
- Video Can Improve Students’ Problem Solving and Collaborative Abilities. It is believed that when students access videos, it helps by encouraging their problem-solving abilities to improve, as they can get to interact and collaborate with others via the medium of video streaming. This, in its turn, can help students to shape up as better professionals as they enter the arena of working for their livelihood, since the development of careers today is based a lot on the support of
- Multicultural Awareness and
- Video Can Make Students More Core Competent. The knowledge of how to utilize technology, and use video to the fullest as a tool and means to acquiring and spreading information is a core competency that is important for progress. Moreover, video streaming, or VOD, can help students develop qualities such as
- Civic Responsibility
- Facing the Spotlight
- Cultural Understanding and
- Self Esteem.
- Video Instrumental in Blended Learning. On demand or real time videos are components of many Blended Learning programs, which are being found to be equal to, or even better than face to face, or online-only programs for learning. The combination of face to face and online education is known as Blended Learning. It is also being found that educational TV can have a very positive impact on the academic, as well as intellectual development of students, and even children.
Video streaming seems to be the need of the hour – be that for the betterment of education, the greater utilization of technology, or the further development of business.