Video Streaming is not just used for the singular purpose of entertainment – it has also been gainfully utilized as an integral part of education since some time, and its importance in the latter field has only been increasing exponentially.
Micro Learning, Flipped Classrooms, and Student Vlogs are common terms and practices today, and, as per reports, a Cisco research reveals that approximately two thirds of teachers opine that video education helps students to learn. That is not all. There is another report stating that from last year till now, more than 90% of teachers have made the use of live streaming, and video, while taking their classes; in fact, most of these teachers make use of video streaming at least once a week during their classes.
It has been observed that Video On Demand / VOD services can not only broaden the scope of education, but also reduce its cost. On demand video content and live streaming can enable a school to have access to the best of teachers, no matter how far, physically, they are away from each other. Students who missed their lectures or classes can also ‘attend’ them later with the help of archived lecture videos, and live streaming.
This is not all. Analytics can make it possible to track attendance by determining who had – or had not – watched the videos.
Cost of attendance can be reduced, as students can make use of free Wi-Fi hotspots, or even zero-rated data, for accessing the video content.
Let us get to know more closely, now, how video can be effectively used as a tool to educate – and how your business, too, can benefit from eLearning – just like schools, colleges, universities, teachers, and students are gaining from it.
Advantages of eLearning in the Case of Students
- According to a survey, close to 90% of the universities have stated that there is proof that video can increase the level of students’ achievements
- Digital literacy develops better and greater
- With the use of online video for education, students can understand and retain information better
- Students can get more assistance for assimilating complex information
- Multi-modal learning gets good support
- Multi-learning preferences find eLearning very appealing
Ways You Can Gain from Content You can use live streaming, live broadcasts, and videos to their fullest advantage by enabling your modules and courses to last forever – or for a very long period of time.
You can film
- Class Discussions
To enable students as well as teachers / staff access them as and when required
You can also introduce modules that are taught entirely via video. These modules can be made available any time of the year for students to take lessons from. This way, you can also make revenue during long holidays – such as summer / winter vacations – when students can take their classes from home.
The Flipped Classroom Convenience
This student-centric approach to learning, known as the “Flipped Classroom”, is gaining in popularity and usability very steadily. Pioneered about a decade ago, the idea of the Flipped Classroom is a simple one: Record classroom lectures. Students can access these videos to study as homework. The classroom time, next, can be utilized for discussions, questions, practice, group activities, and so on.
San Jose State University is said to have found that when students learnt with the aid of videos before attending their classes and classroom discussions – as in the Flipped Classroom – the rise in the average scores was by 10 to 11 points. Studies have demonstrated that online interactive videos can enable students to perform even better. By the way, it has also been noted that video lectures can beat in-person lectures when it comes to the outcome of student performance.
The great thing about videos is that they have something for each type of learner –
- Visual Types of Learners have the images
- Auditory Types of Learners have the Sound
What is more, texts and interactivity can also be woven in, just like Questions and Answers, and Chapter Markers.
Ways You Can Use Video in the Field of Education
Videos can be made use of to educate in a great variety of ways. Let us discuss a few of the more basic and popular ones here, other than the Flipped Classroom that we have just spoken of, above.
- The eLearning Business Model – You can record and sell the access to your course that would be online-only.
- Training Model – You can make use of online videos for the purpose of educating, or training partners, employees, customers, and so on.
- Supplementary Videos – Additional material can be prepared for students to access online to supplement their information with.
Even as you are reading this, thousands of organizations, businesses, universities, schools, etcetera the world over are using each one of these approaches. We can assure you that each one of these approaches can be extremely effective.
Monetization Options for Online Videos
Innumerable businesses, companies, organizations, groups, teachers, and individuals are making money out of online video streaming and eLearning. Online video can be easy to monetize if you know the right video platform for the purpose. One of these models is the typical, usual choice of people:
- Pay-Per-View / Transactions – Each piece, or bundle of video content that the viewer wants to watch has to be paid for, per view.
- Subscriptions – This is akin to Netflix. Viewers need to pay a regular fee to gain and retain access to a library of content that gets duly updated.
- Advertising – Video is monetized through in-video or website ads.
Needless to say, each one of the options mentioned above has its distinct points – but the one thing that you have to have in order to implement any one of these is a sound online video platform with good tools for monetization.
Increase ROI as You Save Money
Videos can assist you in augmenting your Return On Investment, as they can help you save money. Let us show you how:
- Classroom time can incur heavy expenses. Videos can reduce those.
- When the performance of students improves, that can bring in more federal funding, grants, and sales.
- All thanks to video training, the audience-strength can grow from a national to international level.
- When you use video streaming for the purpose of education, you can reduce staff time in other areas. Take this report, for example. It says Microsoft had organized video eLearning for employees, and thereby cut its annual cost of $ 13.9 million. The ROI on their initial investment thus turned out to be 569%.
- Save money on paper by using videos. According to another report, the amount of money Yale spent on copier paper in a year was $ 680,000 -- and more than $ 1 million on toner. You can save money on paper with video ads, student vlogs, and so on. Your future students, most likely to be found online, would rather watch a micro-lesson or an ad than go through old fashioned prospectuses made of paper.
- Any need for worksheets or notes can be eliminated. You can simply film your classes, and present them on your Learning Management System.
You can gain the same way – or even more than – these progressive educational institutions that are taking the help of video streaming to achieve greater results, ROI, and reach.
All you would need are the right tools. A robust video streaming solution would be able to host, organize, and deliver your video content to the students. This is not all. The video streaming solution can also provide you with tools for analytics data, security precautions, video monetization, and more.
You can always get in touch with us at Ascentspark Software, should you need any guidance at any juncture of setting up or improving your video streaming business. We would be happy to offer you a free consultation – and absolutely customized solutions.